Monday, April 23, 2012

BBS 2012 {week 1}

Hey All!  I'm linking up with Monica over at Blessed Mama.

Let me say that reading the first two chapters of the book "What's It Like Being Married To Me" gives you a swift kick in the behind!  Most, if not all the topics hit home with me.

By Design, Not Default starts the book asking why women get married, she discusses how men and women marry for different reasons.  Men marry for simpler reasons than women.  Linda Dillow writes "I refuse to settle for mediocrity.  I refuse to live out scripts handed to me by the media, by mothers, by anyone other than God."  This is so true!  I want to be the wife God wants me to be.  I want God to lead me in that direction.  Is mediocrity or the lack of continually working on your marriage the reason so many people are divorcing after many years of marriage?  Or is because life changes and we no longer work with our spouse?   Our relationship has evolved over the years to what is it today.  It will change in the future as we age.   I want to grow old with J. in a happy, loving, devoted marriage.

What Is Really Important To Me?
If you asked me that question before I started reading this book, I would say "God, My hubby, My girls, My extended/church family.  PERIOD! 
Now ask me how I spend my time?  God (including worship/bible study/prayer), work, girls extra-curricular activities, extended family, J.  WHAT!!!  How did that happen?!?  How did and J. end up last?  This is the last thing I wanted to happen.  But it has, now, we have to fix it.  So what does Linda Dillow suggest we do: 

Set A Goal:  Dillow defines goal as "a purpose to which a woman in unalterably committed."  Goals are often confused with desires, defined as "something wanted that can't be obtained without the cooperation of another person"
My goal:  I will strive to be a Christian wife to J.  I will strive to put J. before others. 

Write a Marriage Purpose Statement:  According to Dillow this is a "conscious creation of who you want to become".

I will be faithful.
I will be loving.
I will be forgiving.
I will be truthful.
I will be caring.
I will be loyal.


 

2 comments:

  1. It amazed me at how messed up my priorities were! You have a great post!

    ReplyDelete